Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: get something done

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: get something done
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 21:52:24 +0100

On Monday 28 November 2005 17:53, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> > I am unaware of where those shouls come from. Most of them are su busy
> > with their own work they couldn't care less. After all getting the code
> > to look at takes 10 minutes at most.
>
> Well, you was asking for jobs for people that want to spend some time ...
>
> > We suffer from one most stupid problem. *That* make people think gnumed
> > sucks
>
> I do not think that GNUmed sucks currently.  But I'm afraid it will suck at
> one day if we continue working as we do currently because the way it is
> done currently does not scale for a larger project (IMHO).
Please suggest improvements. Privately if neccessary. Thanks.

> > Are we talking about the same group of IT-students ? The ones I know have
> > had lectures on how to design a database theoretically or can tell you
> > how to find and algorithm for finding black spots in a picture. They have
> > no skill whatsoever when it comes to coding.
>
> Well, *you* was asking for jobs for people.  Please describe these people
> first, before we try to find tasks for them.
My bad, I admit.

> (Normally you have a task and
> are searching for people who can do it.  It seems a little bit the other
> way around in FLOSS development.)
My bad, I admit. IT students, course assignments for one semester. 2 students
in each group. That's all I know and it's not even certain.

> > What can I say. Tell me or the portential coders a structure and you get
> > it.
>
> Well, why did you make a different directory structure between CVS and
> the gnumed-client release.  I've thought you have a reason to make it
> different.  I do not know any project that invents a different directory
> layout for their rlease tarball than in CVS.
My limited shell scripting abilities made me use copy. Next release tarball
will use CVS structure as you wish. I have to do the copying in the install
script then.

> Just stripping off the
> unneded bits like the CVS directories and files that are not used should
> be fine - the rest is done by an install script.

My fault. It's been my first try. Noone told me. So much for testing :-) You
spoke up. I will change it.
> > Even too high level for my initial request. Where can I find  your work ?
>
> It is hidden inbetween my old packaging stuff at
>
>      http://people.debian.org/~tille/packages/gnumed/
>
> I have some more things doen on my local disk, but find an interested
> person first and I will introduce this person in private instead of
> spending time explaining here on the list instead of spending it in
> real packaging work.
Your choice. I will put the short version in the Wiki (sometimes) People might
contact you then.

> > Where is the documetation on how to build Debian packages ?
>
> Hmmm, there are several documents.  I hope that I do not sound arrogant
> if I turn it to an "ask Google" question.  It makes no sense if I have to
> make long introduction.  If somebody speaks up and says: Give me everything
> you did - I will continue / work together - it is fine.  I think it is
> quite ineffective if I start teaching the basics.
True. It doesn't sound arrogant. Your choice. Note however that this simply
won't happen. Ask Google is no option for a start. I can live with it. I am
pessimistic by choice but the only chance to get someone is by handholding.
My opinion. You chose not to. Fine.

It's like cure yourself just ask google :-) or medline or many great online
ressources.

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany