Re: [Gnumed-devel] When will GNUmed be ready (was Eureka! - ?found the e

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] When will GNUmed be ready (was Eureka! - ?found the error gnuMed running now)
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 11:56:06 +0100

On Friday 09 December 2005 07:55, J Busser wrote:

> I wonder whether something downloadable as a PDF, and formatted as a
> "tri-fold" brochure could help (especially at conferences). I mocked
> up the attachments at the following site and "printed" each side to
> PDF (did not know how to merge them into a single PDF so just
> re-saved each as a PNG).  I declined the options to save them online
> lacking time to carefully enough read the site terms and conditions:
I can do the merge part.
information is here : http://ktmatu.com/info/merge-pdf-files/

I personally recommend pdftk
http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/

>       http://www.mybrochuremaker.com/tri-fold-brochure-fun.html
>
> That site alternatively permits publishing a "flyer" format which
> might nicely hold what is on WhatCanIActuallyDOWithGnumedToday.
>
> If we value multilingual advocacy and documentation, I wonder if we
> should give further thought to mediawiki at some point in the not too
> distant future (maybe around version 0.3 ?).
Yes. We should give it some thought. Fact remains. Someone has to install an
maintain it.

>       http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2004/11/04/which_wiki.html
I once compared TWiki and MediaWiki and Twiki didn't seem to bad a choice back
then. The look is somewhat uglier than MediaWiki but this is  question of
CSS/HTML design. Can be changed. I have seen conversion script
MediaWiki->TWiki. Some people decided to go the other way.

I have never used MediaWiki. How does it support different languages. As far
as I can see it sets up a different Wiki page for each language instead of
working like gettext.

Same can be done in TWiki.  We just have to follow our own naming convention
WhatCanBeDoneToday
WhatCaneBeDoneToday_DE
WhatCaneBeDoneToday_FR

A shell script can be used to look for missing tanslations because each
language has iit's own file. What cannot be automated is the check to missing
content. I highly doubt MediWiki does that.

TWiki has some info on multiple languages on the Web as well.
Personally I neglect my German audience because I don't have ressources to
tranlate all content. Furthermore I often decide to document in English
because I potentially reach a wider audience.

In the future we might have another job for fellow non-coders : translators

BTW. The flyer is way cool. I have wanted to come up with something like this
for a loooooooong time. But without the cool pictures it doesn't look as
good. So thumbs up for your fine work.

As I said I can merge pdfs and offer them for download - which can be linked
into a promo section in our Wiki.
--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany