[Gnumed-devel] Specs (was: Gnumed brochures)

From: Hilmar Berger
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Specs (was: Gnumed brochures)
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 13:43:23 +0100

Hi Karsten,

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:33:54 +0100
Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > Absolutely not true. I have no idea what gives you this impression. A
> > > vision
> > > can develop while you code. It takes longer but it is way better than a
> > > vision that is screwed.
> > I guess that is the point we disagree. You say that it is
> > better to start coding even if you are not sure what you
> > exactly want.
> No. What he's saying is that it's better to *code* by one's
> non academically sound vision rather than not coding by a
> superb design plan.
I understand you don't like me telling you that we need a different development
process. You and the rest of the coders brought Gnumed to almost 0.2 without
that, so why bother ?
First,my intention was not to tell you that you wont reach v1.0 doing it your
way. You probably will. It might take some time, though. I just strongly
believe that a) you could save the time you already needed and will continue to
need for redesigning your code and b) it will be easier to communicate to
others what you had in mind when coding and how everything is thought to play
together.
Second, the decision is not "To code or not to code". It's rather "To code with
or without a planning phase". In my eyes spending some hours/days in order to
have a plan is not wasted time. It's time you can easily save in the coding
phase. And that is what I have seen and experienced. Sometimes it's better to
ask the crucial questions first and hit the keys afterwards. I guess that you
are doing some sort of design process for your own anyways and you have a clear
vision, too. So what I was asking you was to write your thoughts down (even in
a not so superb manner) and let others participate in the design process. It's
never bad to add more brains in the design process. What will be coded in the
end is a different topic.

> > I am quite convinced that making a at least
> > rough plan (specs) before starting to code will save you
> > time in the end.
> So, where are your specs ?
I said that I will write down some specs and I'm determined to do so. I will
probaly have some time at end of December, so you can expect to see something
written down at the beginning of the next year.

Hilmar