[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [Gnumed-devel] Vision

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Vision
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 13:56:58 +0100
User-agent: KMail/1.9

On Friday 16 December 2005 22:53, Richard Terry wrote:
> I wish you guys would change the headers to reflect the content!
I agree.

@public. Disclaimer. The following argument does not represent the GNUmed 
project but rather that of two individuals that happend to discuss this on 
this list. GNUmed is alive and well. It is progressing and currently involved 
in discussion how development could be changed to fit more people's visions.

Don't trust me. Get the picture yourself. Look at our code for progress.

our documentation

> Daniel will, I predict, go the way of so many other potential developers
> who have abandoned gnuMed, and will give up in frustration because of an
> attitude which is unable to see the bigger picture.
cut the crap. Offer Daniel help instead of painting a negative image of 
GNUmed. Change the situation and put effort where your mouth is.

@Daniel. I am not the project lead but I will be happy to answer any question 
you might have. I am just one of those who have stuck to the project long 
enough to know what I am talking about. All I know about GNUmed is what I 
have learned over the years.

If you feel it is too hard to penetrate GNUmed's "shell" please let *me* know 
what you are looking for. 

> As I've said time, time and time again, and as Daniel has pointed out to
> you, projects need management and planning.
You said that about a month or so ago.  I must have missed your announcement 
to take over responsibility. Sorry.
> Karsten, the tight control you seem to keep on the process has been the
> death knell for gnumed for a long long time.
<rant mode on>
what the hell are you talking about ? Karsten does not control anything. I am 
getting pissed here. Karsten is maintaing the backend. I cannot remember a 
single contribution of your's that has been rejected. Stop announcing that 

*You* scare interested parties away because you paint a negative picture.

<rant mode off>

> The weight of evidence is against your approach is overwhelming ( I'm not
> meaning  your coding per-se of course which I am not critisizing, and
> without with, probably nothing much in gnuMEd would exist).
@Richard. I don't know how often I have to say this. You are free to change 
this. Noone will block your efforts. I just don't see your efforts. I am 
getting sick of this.

> Why would one bother, when the mega hours of time expended for so long (6
> years now) has not produced a program that can even  create a new patient
> properly nor import demographic databases from other sources, when the
> vision of others is just left to rot by the wayside.
Why in the hell did *you* not produce something better. You say this for six 
years now. But you have not been able to come up with anything better. Now 
how does that make you look.

Go look at the Wiki right now. How many specs have been written by you ?

I told Richard in private mail that I was trying to keep this personal 
argument off this list as it will give the public the impression that GNUmed 
people fight more among themselves then doing anything useful.
Right or wrong it is time I publicly voice my disapproval of Richard's 
constant arguments that lead nowhere.

@ public. This is not the case. I have continously supported any effort to 
change the situation but some people on this list can only talk instead of 
putting specs and code where their mouth is.


> Regards
> Richard
> On Friday 16 December 2005 20:41, Hilmar Berger wrote:
> > Hi,
> > On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:27:08 +0100
> >
> > Sebastian Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > > Without a clear vision, your specs will be wrong (written down or
> > > > not), which will finally result in useless code.
> > >
> > > Absolutely not true. I have no idea what gives you this impression. A
> > > vision can develop while you code. It takes longer but it is way better
> > > than a vision that is screwed.
> >
> > I guess that is the point we disagree. You say that it is better to start
> > coding even if you are not sure what you exactly want. I am quite
> > convinced that making a at least rough plan (specs) before starting to
> > code will save you time in the end. That is, unless you are not faster
> > coding than thinking.
> >
> > Hilmar
> _______________________________________________
> Gnumed-devel mailing list
> address@hidden

Sebastian Hilbert 
Leipzig / Germany
[]  -> PGP welcome, HTML ->/dev/null
ICQ: 86 07 67 86   -> No files, no URL's
VoIP: callto://address@hidden
My OS: Suse Linux. Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]