Re: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed.conf

From: Hilmar Berger
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed.conf
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 00:23:31 +0100

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 14:45:01 -0800
J Busser <address@hidden> wrote:

>> The servers/databases to which a client can connect are
>> provided/defined as a profile inside the file gnumed.conf found (most
>> likely) in the directory /home/user_name/.gnumed/. If not, take a
>> look at the file gnumed.conf.example in the directory
>> /some_dir/gnumed/client/etc/.
> So I was wondering about the "If not" part. Is it intended that the
> /client/etc/ file serves as the "default" but can be "overridden" by
> a file in /home/user_name/... ? Would it depend if gnumed was started
> from inside /home/user_name/.gnumed/?

As far as I understand, an appropriate gnumed.conf should be installed in the
users homedir on client installation.
gnumed/client/etc serves as a place where you can find reasonable defaults
which you (or your installation module) can copy to your homedir as an template.
Gnumed should always lookup /home/user_name/.gnumed/gnumed.conf at startup (at
least that's what I remember).
> Andrea's Debian installer puts the client under /usr/bin/python2.3 so
> I gather any users logged into such a machine would all access a
> shared copy of the client that keeps only one configuration?
I don't remember the .conf file hierarchy well. However, tells me the

The module will look for the config file in the following standard
1) programmer supplied arguments
2) user supplied command line (getopt style):   --conf-file=<a file name>
3) user supplied $aName_DIR environment variable (all uppercase)
4) ~/.<aDir>/<aName>.conf
5) ~/.<aName>.conf
6) /etc/<aDir>/<aName>.conf
7) /etc/<aName>.conf
8) ./<aName>.conf               - last resort for DOS/Win

So, homedir/.gnumed will override any shared gnumed.conf in /etc/ or elsewhere.