Re: [Gnumed-devel] gmClinical.sql and general comments

From: Richard Terry
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gmClinical.sql and general comments
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 12:51:10 +1100

> > Is there any reason that it can't be split up into logical units eg
> > gmVaccinations.sql, gmAllergies.sql etc?.
>
> No reason. However, if so do maintain the separation of
> static (tables) vs dynamic (pretty much everything else)
> stuff. The reason is that the dynamic stuff can be *rerun*
> on an existing database without putting the actual data in
> jeopardy at all.

is there a reason comments can't be kept with tables. I would have thought
that makes someone trying to learn by reading the sql code much easier for
them.

> > Some of the areas causing me problems seem to be around statements
> > containing lines like:
> >
> > alter table clin.vacc_def  (from gmClinicalViews.sql)
> >     add constraint numbered_shot_xor_booster
> >             check (
> >                     ((is_booster is true) and (seq_no is null)) or
> >                     ((is_booster is false) and (seq_no > 0))
> >             );
> >
> > this won't compile, stops and asks to input  a parameter
>
> Very strange. I tend to think pgAdmin is not sophisticated
> enough. The above is perfectly valid SQL and it bootstraps
> just fine. You might have to contact the pgAdmin people.

This is interesting Karsten, I'll do some more research on it. The problem
lies after  the check part of the query. I've found that some statements
containing 'check' compile without problems, yet others don't - perhaps there
is something in the text after it.

BTW I'm not using pgAdmin3, but datamanager from www.sqlmanager.net/ , you can
download a free version, but I paid them as I find it useful. The
professional version for winxp is reasonably stable, and the visual query
builder is fabulous. The linux version is unfortunately not very good, so I
use pgadmin when I'm in linux.

Regards

richard