Re: [Gnumed-devel] Status of OSHCA and openhealth.com

From: Tim Churches
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Status of OSHCA and openhealth.com
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 13:18:41 +1000

Kevin wrote:
> Hi All-
>
> I've been reading more on this subject and noticed these sites:
>
> http://www.oshca.org/
> and
> http://www.openhealth.com/
>
> They both seem incredibly out of date.
>
> Is anyone actually working on these ideas or have they been dead for the
> past 4 years as seems to be the case from the update status of these sites.
>
> I'm not a member of the openhealth Yahoo Group because I try to avoid
> Yahoo whenever possible, so I suppose it could be true that these ideas
> continue to be discussed in that Yahoo Group unbeknownst to me, but I
> would think that these two websites (for all their grand ideas) would
> continue to be maintained at intervals of weeks or months not years if
> there was real umph behind any of these ideas now.
>
> Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.  I mean no offense to
> anyone.  I'm just new to this community and trying to get an
> understanding of the current status of the community.

Kevin,

By chance, the Inaugural Meeting of OSHCA as a formal organisation is
happening online today - you have the opportunity to become a founding
member if you wish. If not, you can always join later. I have attached
the relevant documents (in PDF and Openoffice 1 and 2 and MS-Word
formats) since you are (understandably) reluctant to register with Yahoo
to obtain access to them via the openhealth list/Web page on Yahoo. As I
mentioned, an early item of business will be to move the OSHCA Web site
off Yahoo and onto one or more independent servers, but formal
registration comes first.

There was an abortive attempt to register OSHCA as a formal organisation
a few years ago, but it failed due to a combination of inertia and too
much criticism by some people who wanted endless consultation about
every decision - something which is very difficult to manage when
discussion occurs asynchronously via email. The current process aims to
strike the appropriate balance between democratic processes and getting
things done in a reasonable timeframe. The existing Web pages relate to
that episode, or earlier - yes, they are way out of date, something that
will be fixed in the next month or so.

Tim C