Re: [Gnumed-devel] help with installation bootstrap

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] help with installation bootstrap
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 11:12:13 +0100

> head I think; I just checked it out using cvs.

Syan, this is fixed. For how and why this is safe see the
comments at the top of sql/gmBlobViews.sql.

BTW, just doing a from a HEAD branch won't do you
much good. I mean, it will indeed setup a v2 database usable
with a 0.2.x client (where x < 3) but the same CVS tree does
not contain a corresponding client.

If you want to setup a 0.2 client you should checkout the
latest revision of the rel-0-2-patches branch and go from

The script in the HEAD branch is intended to
setup the baseline database ready for transformation into
v3. The procedure is as follows:

To setup a *new* v3 database do this:

 - from HEAD branch
   - run
   - run

To transform an *existing* v2 database into v3 do this:

 - verify (via checksum) that you have a v2 database
 - from HEAD branch
   - run

Later on this procedure won't change, it'll only ever get

- make/have v2
- ...

That way we can guarantuee a safe and maintainable upgrade
path. Due to using versioned database names (gnumed_v2,
gnumed_v3, gnumed_vX) we can also guarantuee entirely
non-desctructive, always-fallback upgrades.

GPG key ID E4071346 @
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346