Re: [Gnumed-devel] change user/privacy

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] change user/privacy
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 09:28:18 +0200

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 11:04:22PM +0200, Ruthard Baudach wrote:

> playing around with gnumed (Being not capable of doing more than that :-)

Can we do anything to enable you to do more ? Is there any
use case you could see GNUmed fulfilling in your practice ?

> I thought of everyday work in a practice. it is not possible to close the
> program and start it every time another person wants to use it.
True.

> Of course
> it was possible to use several instances of gnumed on the same box, one
> for each user, but this is too confusing for usual nurses (nand most
> doctors),
I agree.

> and would only work, if every window would be marked with the
> user.
It already is :-)  See the titlebar - which also shows up in
the tooltip window when the instance is iconized.

The whole authorization issue is quite difficult to get
working well in everyday practice. Not technically but on
the usability front. Ideally, the application (or even the
OS) would detect who is in front of the machine based on
some person-carried token but that isn't going to happen
today.

> A better way was to introduce a fast log-out -log in possibility, e.g. a
> single button "lock" under the caveat field that locks gnumed, showing a
> single panel with login-buttons for every known user. This feature would
> enable privacy as mentioned in my last e-mail, and introduce a
> two-click-one-password re-logon for another user.
Yes, we will have to invent some sort of mechanism similar
to this one. However, technically it also involves resetting
backend connections (of primary concern is the connection
pool).

> good work your doing here.
Thanks !