Re: [Gnumed-devel] recall the first start

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] recall the first start
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 23:11:46 +0200

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 10:33:45PM +0200, Michael SchÃŒtt wrote:

> The client autodetect only at the first start the language.
No, it does so each time the client is started. You likely
mean the *database* strings language which it checks for
being set or not.

If it is not set it will try to set it from the client
language. If that isn't possible it will ask the user
whether to ignore that condition later on.

If you want to make it ask again you'd need to edit the
config file and remove the option

        "ignore mismatching system locale"

> I red this in the wiki, but gnumed is in english now.
That means it either auto-detects the wrong language or it
cannot find the translation files.

Let's see:

> 2007-04-24 21:11:04  [DATA]
> (/home/letzter/GnuMed/GNUmed-0.2.5.1/Gnumed/pycommon/gmI18N.py:address@hidden):
>   splitting canonical locale [de_DE] into levels
> 2007-04-24 21:11:04  [DATA]
> (/home/letzter/GnuMed/GNUmed-0.2.5.1/Gnumed/pycommon/gmI18N.py:address@hidden):
>   system locale levels: {'country': 'de_DE', 'full': 'de_DE', 'language':
> 'de'}
Auto-detection works.

> 2007-04-24 21:11:04  [INFO]
> (/home/letzter/GnuMed/GNUmed-0.2.5.1/Gnumed/pycommon/gmI18N.py:address@hidden):
>   text domain is [gnumed]
That means we need to look for a file "gnumed.mo".

> 2007-04-24 21:11:04  [DATA]
> (/home/letzter/GnuMed/GNUmed-0.2.5.1/Gnumed/pycommon/gmI18N.py:address@hidden):
>   searching message catalog file for system locale [de_DE]
Yes, proper locale.

> 2007-04-24 21:11:04  [DATA]
> (/home/letzter/GnuMed/GNUmed-0.2.5.1/Gnumed/pycommon/gmI18N.py:address@hidden):
>   system is POSIX, looking in standard locations (see Python Manual)
Mandriva is UNIX, so gnumed.mo should be somewhere in
/usr/share/locale/de_DE/LC_MESSAGES/ or a similar location.

But it's not there because GNUmed keeps looking ...

> 2007-04-24 21:11:04  [DATA]
> (/home/letzter/GnuMed/GNUmed-0.2.5.1/Gnumed/pycommon/gmI18N.py:address@hidden):
>   looking above binary install directory
> [/home/letzter/GnuMed/GNUmed-0.2.5.1/client/locale]
... here. This is where it should be if running from a
GNUmed CVS tree.

> 2007-04-24 21:11:04  [DATA]
> (/home/letzter/GnuMed/GNUmed-0.2.5.1/Gnumed/pycommon/gmI18N.py:address@hidden):
>   trying [/usr/share/locale](/de_DE/LC_MESSAGES/gnumed.mo)
> 2007-04-24 21:11:04  [DATA]
> (/home/letzter/GnuMed/GNUmed-0.2.5.1/Gnumed/pycommon/gmI18N.py:address@hidden):
>  does not translate: [translate this or i18n will not work properly !] =>
> [translate this or i18n will not work properly !]
Nope, not found.

> 2007-04-24 21:11:04  [DATA]
> (/home/letzter/GnuMed/GNUmed-0.2.5.1/Gnumed/pycommon/gmI18N.py:address@hidden):
>   trying
> [/home/letzter/GnuMed/GNUmed-0.2.5.1/client/locale](/de_DE/LC_MESSAGES/gnumed.mo)
> 2007-04-24 21:11:04  [DATA]
> (/home/letzter/GnuMed/GNUmed-0.2.5.1/Gnumed/pycommon/gmI18N.py:address@hidden):
>  does not translate: [translate this or i18n will not work properly !] =>
> [translate this or i18n will not work properly !]
Not there either, so, ...

> (/home/letzter/GnuMed/GNUmed-0.2.5.1/Gnumed/pycommon/gmI18N.py:address@hidden):
>   Giving up and falling back to NullTranslations() class in despair.
... giving up.

You need to create a link from the proper location to
client/locale/de-gnumed.mo, such as from
client/locale/de_DE/LC_MESSAGES/gnumed.mo.