Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed-devel Digest, Vol 55, Issue 9

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed-devel Digest, Vol 55, Issue 9
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 14:27:04 +0200

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 03:20:09PM +0200, Ruthard Baudach wrote:

> Some time ago, being annoyed from the compulsatory use of MS Word as
> writing program for our program I tried to write a interface for
> OpenOffice. I found out that AutoCorrection and AutoTest templates are
> stored in a zipped xml file which format is self-explanatory.
> On principle it is no problem to exchange these files by Gnumed (or "xxx")
> - created files, and AutoCorrection and AutoText will display the exported
> EMR-data.

This works but deprives the user of the intended benefit of
AutoText/AutoCorrection - at least for the duration of this
one document. Which we don't need to do as we can do better.

> If anybody knowing OpenOfficeBasic would create a script importing a
> textfile in Openoffice on start this would be a universal import interface
> useful for any application capable of exporting data in a textfile.
I am not quite sure I understand how this would work ?

> Thus I think it might be sensible to put time in an OpenOffice interface,
> presumably an "open" one interfacing OpenOffice to a text file in csv or
> BDT format rather than writing the umpteenth editor working exklusivly for
> GNUmed.

Oh, OK, that's the concern. Well, the odt-parser will
 - be open source
 - be based on several pieces of already existing code
 - not contain any GNUmed specific code
 - operate on standard odt files
 - operate on arbitrary placeholders

So, any application can use it by providing code to replace
placeholders with data from its storage space.

Yes, it'll be in Python so that's one requirement we get to chose.