Re: [Gnumed-devel] update database - no problem

From: Syan Tan
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] update database - no problem
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 05:54:17 +0000

It's feasible that ZFS might snapshot postgresql in the middle of a transaction
and the rest of the transaction is not included the snapshot.
Another darn end-to-end problem.
Snapshotting worked ok many years ago, for ordinary filesystem usage.
When I was doing a part time IT course, students used to be able to
go to another part of the filesystem and look at several copies
of their work of different ages , just in case they accidently
did rm -fr part or all of a current project. Some of the work , the last
few minutes, might be lost though.

With respect to using timestamps end-to-end at the application level,
it's fairly simple compared to running session transactions.
Other ways of doing things would be to hold entire record locks, which is
the way our simple MD works, so only one person can open up the record ;
invoke section locks, so that as soon any entry is made into the record,
that section needs to have a lock acquired before being modified, and the
lock released after being modified, and others trying to modify the same
section of the record, would need to be informed that the lock was being
held, and to try again later ( would only occur in concurrent modification,
not concurrent addition of items , as long as there was a way of marking
concurrent additions as being concurrent, and hence the entry made
only based on older information not marked concurrent  e.g.
scenario , patient informed current tests normal, concurrent entry, abnormal
result, requires patient to be informed ).

On Mon Oct  8 11:54 , Karsten Hilbert  sent: