Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed server rpm available

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed server rpm available
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 18:55:15 +0100

On Sonntag 27 Januar 2008, you wrote:
> On 27-Jan-08, at 6:22 AM, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> > Yesterday I had a nice surprise in my email inbox. Paul Grinberg from
> > PCLinuxOS contacted us with a the announcement that he had built a
> > server rpm
> > which provides a painless setup of the GNUmed server backend.
> >
> > Wow. We now have the full end to end solution available for users.
> > All it
> > takes is:
> >
> > 'zypper install gnumed-client gnumed-server'
>
> Some questions:
> 1) this rpm is hosted somewhere and would need to be downloaded, I
> presume?
They are hosted in a repository. If one is running openSUSE it is a one click
install.
http://software.opensuse.org/ymp/home%3ASebastianHilbert/openSUSE_10.3/gnumed-client.ymp

Just click this link and it will take care of everything.
http://software.opensuse.org/ymp/home%3ASebastianHilbert/openSUSE_10.3/gnumed-server.ymp

Same as for Debian where one just does apt-get install gnumed-client and
hoppefully will be able to do apt-get install gnumed-server soon.

> 2) is 'zypper" for openSUSE and if this is calling a "modified rpm"
> where does that live?
It lives here:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:SebastianHilbert/openSUSE_10.3

In the so called buildservice which is a server farm with different
distributions. One just sends a spec file and the tar.gz and it will produce
the rpm package.

> 3) what do the above do? Do they
> - install GNUmed's dependencies including Postgres onto a server?
yes.

> - do they configure Postgres in the way required so that manual
> configuration is not needed?
yes
> - anything else?
one can make them do more and be smarter like update detection. Anything that
can be done through a shell script.

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany