[Gnumed-devel] Possible problem with schema table Clin.Test_type

From: James Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Possible problem with schema table Clin.Test_type
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 22:35:47 -0800

referencing

http://salaam.homeunix.com/~ncq/gnumed/schema/devel/gnumed- schema.html#clin.table.test-type

it seems to me that we will need to have, in this table, a set of codes for each of multiple coding systems. For example, for the coding_system "LOINC", there will be multiple codes, one for each of various tests (hemoglobin, neutrophil count, fasting glucose etc).

This suggests that neither the coding_system nor the code will exist uniquely in one row but, rather, that the combination be (excusing my syntax)

        (coding_system + code) UNIQUE

Presently, each is unique.

Also, there is a field fk_test_org which is a foreign key to the primary key clin.test_org.pk which is the organization providing results. Presently, this too is defined as unique. Maybe the intention was

        (fk_test_org + coding_system + code) UNIQUE

However won't this result in redundant records? In BC multiple labs use the same LOINC codes but I don't see how re-creating them for each lab is helpful. Perhaps it was intended to be able to lookup the tests that might be available to be selected, depending on the lab organization that was of interest, but if the value there was in ordering, the result codes are different from the ordering codes anyway.

Therefore I suggest we should drop fk_test_org ... unless there is some other purpose served that I am missing?