Re: [Gnumed-devel] state of test results handling

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] state of test results handling
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 13:38:23 +0200

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 12:04:20PM -0700, James Busser wrote:

> - finally (for now) there is ambiguity in English in the meaning of the
> word "review" because to review can simply mean "to look at (again)" and
> may or may not mean to examine critically,
This is a known shortcoming of the choice "review", yes.

> and even if critical
> examination of the results was performed, it is possible to choose not to
> record this activity. In point of fact, although not everyone would vote
> in favour, it could be possible for each view to create a row in
> clin.reviewed_test_results which would capture whoever it was that
> "reviewed" these results.
There's several arguments against that:

- it generates excessive amounts of rows
- it doesn't really help as it doesn't really record *who* did *what*
- whatever *can* be recorded (eg a particular query was run against
  the database) can already be done from within the postgresl server log

> What we are really talking about is
> *acknowledging* (and implying the taking of responsibility for) the
> results.  I am OK to leave the name "review" in schema's columns
> (fields). However I think it advisable that in the user interface we use
> the word "Sign.." on the button, and in the widget change "This review"
> to "This signing" (and "the review" to "this signing").
Done.

> If this is agreed
> to be a good idea then this revision could be similarly applied to the
> document signing.
Started. Feel free to point out places where this needs to
be done.