[Gnumed-devel] detect a newer version is available

From: James Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] detect a newer version is available
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 13:58:34 -0700

(was re GNUmed on Ubuntu)

On 4-May-08, at 1:05 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 09:28:29PM +0200, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

For the future we should integrate a message directly into gnumed. GNUmed
should have a feature to detect a newer version is available.

When and how I was to say.

----------------------------------
When

1. Upon manual action by the user i.e. menu option

        Check for updates…

2. Automatically at client startup, or at a pre-set or configurable interval, and/or using additional logic to decide whether to "nag" the user.

Under the Automatic option, if we can identify the availability to the user some critical update, one that must be applied to fix a health danger to patients or a security "hole", we should nag the user, but we would have to be careful to make no mistakes in setting such a flag on any updates.

Under an Automatic option (even if turned "off") we may wish the check to still be performed at client startup (at least at intervals) or if we feel a responsibility to "push" notices of updates then it should be at every startup.

Whether the user is *actually* notified would depend on if they had asked manually (in which case -> inform) or if they had asked only for periodic update notification, to wait until the preferred interval. I am only thinking that if a user depends on their service provider (and server / backend manager) to do the updating of server and/or clients then it can be annoying to users if they must always receive this notice at every launch until the update gets performed. Maybe a default of once a week or once every 14 days would be suitable.

----------------------------------
How

Partly covered above, but mainly it is a question of where to post and maintain the newer version information, which can then be queried by the client or server.

This could be a readable file in one or both directories
        http://www.gnumed.de/downloads/client/
        http://www.gnumed.de/downloads/server/

These files might optimally contain
        version number of newest version and date of its release
        type of release (bug fix, minor feature, major release)
        critical-ness of release (routine vs urgent)
        whether server (or client) must also be updated

I am not sure what should trigger the server to check for updates so maybe this should only be built into the clients? While service providers who look after the server may less often be launching the client than the doctors, any service provider should be on the gnumed- update list.

Of course that will mean we should not forget to send notice via gnumed-update :-)