Re: [Gnumed-devel] Emacs & org-mode for handling appointments

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Emacs & org-mode for handling appointments
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 17:38:20 +0200

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 02:42:18PM +0200, Gour wrote:

> org-mode works as follows: one enters different notes in several *.org
> files. If one wants to plan an appointment, then one enters 'timestamp'
> on the outline (see
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Timestamps.html#Timestamps).
>
> org-mode's agenda feature then collects all those entries (which may
> come from different *.org files) and display them in 'Agenda' view (see
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Agenda-Views.html#Agenda-Views)

OK, makes sense.

> 1) shcheduling appointment - when working with the patient record in
> GNUmed and when I want to schedule an appointment, then GNUmed should be
> able to call emacs (probably using emacsclient) with specified *.org
> file to 'schedule' an appointment and

1) Give me a command line and I'll see what I can do ;-)
   Anyway I gather it'd be something like "emacs -b ..." or
   something.

2) Would you like GNUmed to just pass patient information
   (and which) to emacs org mode or do you also want GNUmed to
   let you select date and time of the apptointment.

   The latter doesn't make too much sense, IMO, as all the
   appointment information itself is intended to be kept in
   the external application that'd be the place to most
   conveniently select the appointment time, too. Unless the
   scheduler offers an API for things like "give me the next
   available 15min appointment with Dr.Who". For which it'd
   also be useful to have GNUmed parse agenda output (see
   below). For which I'd appreciate a commandline exporting
   relevant agenda data into, say, CSV format.

> 2) looking for appointments
>
> Another feature would be to look at appointments and it can happen as
> follows: GNUmed shall call emacsclient with specified *.org file and
> then launch Agenda-view command to display all the appointments in the
> current week.
That'd be fairly easy to do. GNUmed could also parse an
agenda export and display it in its appointment viewer.
Parsing this information would be beneficial anyway for
auto-filling the (to-be) waiting list.