Re: [Gnumed-devel] Encounter, Encountlet, Episode, Health issue, Problem

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Encounter, Encountlet, Episode, Health issue, Problem
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 10:37:12 +0200

> On 12-Aug-08, at 2:11 PM, Rogerio Luz wrote:
>
>> Ok ... seems it´s just a  matter of getting used to the terminology ...
>> but for tranlations it will need some polishing :)
>>
>> Encounter then is a self contained relationship with patient (i.e. it
>> starts and ends) right?
Correct.

>> My problem is in uderstanding why would we need the Episode.
>>
>> If we have general health issues as a base and Encounter as the way to
>> do the SOAP, we could just get rid of Episode?

How do you aggregate two visits for common cold ? It's not
suggestive of a foundational health issue in the majority of
cases.

An episode is a duration while a health issues is a state.

A patient either suffers from an issue or she does not.

Regardless of what the issue IS a sick patient always
undergoes an episode of illness from time to time.

It does some getting used to at first but all it really is
is just a formalization of what we all know and do anyway.