Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed Release 0.3.0 and Live CD

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed Release 0.3.0 and Live CD
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 17:44:49 +0200

On Montag 25 August 2008, James Busser wrote:
> On 24-Aug-08, at 2:21 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > I am happy to announce that GNUmed version 0.3.0 has just
> > been released.
>
> Apart from working in parallel on some lab stuff, one of my
> priorities (after getting off a series of clinical shifts ending Sept
> 2nd) will be to try to help feedback with client version 0.3x.
>
> As my desktop machines are all Macs except one Windows machine, I may
> prefer to give the feedback testing from linux. From my point of
> view, as soon as GNUmed 0.3x (or 0.4) has reached the functionality
> that I will need in production (I am not yet in production) then I
> may shift to non-linux feedback from non-linux clients.
>
> I understand that there is a GNUmed Live CD_ ISO image (last modified
> July 28) at
>
>       http://www.gnumed.de/downloads/live-cd/binary-0.2.8.10-2.iso
>
> some questions about it whose answers I can add to the wiki:
>
> - does it make  possible to boot Debian Etch, or Lenny (or is it
> configured to "stable", or "testing")

I believe it is the now frozen testing.

> - can it boot on AMD processors, or only Intel?

Any that Debian supports

> - does it require access to the hard drive in order to write a
> scratch file, and must a hard drive partitionhave been already
> formatted in advance, using ???  file system to make this possible?

It writes to RAM so it needs some to bootstrap gnumed

> - if any updating is attempted from the Live CD (for example, to
> install GNUmed client 0.3.x), will such updates be lost with any
> shutting down or reboot of the machine?

yes. It is not intended to updated versions on your harddrive.

> - is a GNUmed (postgres) database already bootstrapped in this Live CD?

It will bootstrap on boot and fortget everything on shutdown

> - may the password for *root* be needed and able to be known?

there is none I think , sudo will do

> - may a password for *postgres* be needed and able to be known?

not needed

> - it is mentioned on the wiki that it loads a German version of
> GNUmed.
english currently

> Accordingly if language is changed (say, to English) at a
> system level in Debian will this be read and acted on by the database
> and/or the client, or will the client on the Live CD have been pre-
> built (pre-packaged) in a way that will not provide the English strings?

it is.