[Gnumed-devel] GNUmed vision and how to get there - specific

From: James Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed vision and how to get there - specific
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 15:39:33 -0700

I was going to say "Identify stakeholders" (current participants). But if we make it clearer / more concrete what is to be achieved, we may get more / better responses!

I would ask:

What is it that we need to verify for ourselves as satisfactory?
1) for current users... whether any current *client* functionality does not work well enough. Failure to address this creates users who do not want to recommend the product to anyone else, and who may even abandon the software

2) for people who are close to using GNUmed... what more do they need before they could try to get it into production?

... the dependencies for the above would seem to be the developers, so we iterate the question:

3) for current developers... whether any current *project* functionality does not work well enough. Failure to address this creates developers who do not want to recommend the project to anyone else, and who may even abandon the project.

4) for people who are *close* to contributing to the project... what more do they need before they could try to contribute?

(My) Answers

1. I don't know. I am not yet a current user and have not yet witnessed direct communication, except since Rogerio and Jerzy joined. We know the clinical notes manager may not yet be some combination of clear enough and easy and nimble enough. However I would have to say that this is a bit of the holy grail and among the hardest parts (if not *the* hardest part) to get right and so if we can establish something that should work reasonably well for clinicians we may be really well-positioned.

2. Sounds like Jerzy may be close and may be able to achieve a good part of what he wants through his own efforts (though everyone can enjoy some help). I am getting close to the *possibility* of using GNUmed... as soon as I can determine that labs can be imported and managed with a satisfactory workflow I would yet have to connect that stage all the way up through having a server mangeably located and maintained with suitable IT support so I did not need to do it (all) myself. I would also have to determine the practicalities of getting my partial secretary (who also works for colleagues) to use it and hopefully to get my colleagues to use it, although they may be happy to use it if I would pay for it all, but less happy to pay a share. I would have to identify for them in some financial terms that the gain in satisfaction from everything being able to be found, and re- findable, and things not getting "dropped", and maybe being able to do a better job in the same time, would be the business case to do so.

3. For current developers.. we can thank (and I do mean thank) Gour both for his pressure to at least reconsider how we do things, and his patience as we proceed cautiously so there is only little risk of any "wrong turns". On top of which is the time it took for the ideas and alternatives to be thought about, researched and the concrete work of getting improved bug-tracking going.

4. Not sure about this one. I support Karsten's recent reminder that we need testers. I note that Gour is an IT-spouse of a clinician as had been David Grant... David is an engineer who was at the time engaged to (and has since married) a medical student, and David was the original host of our first wiki. His wife has since joined a clinic that may or may not be using Oscar which may (or life itself may) simply explain his having gotten busy with other things. So I am wondering if we need to beat the bushes of some classes of medical students who have boyfriends / girlfriends who could hack or code or otherwise be interested to give some help.

#4 could be extended to include people who would be IT support, but maybe we are not there yet.