Re: [Gnumed-devel] Scanning and Linux (vs Windows & Mac)

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Scanning and Linux (vs Windows & Mac)
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:53:43 +0200

On Mittwoch 17 September 2008, James Busser wrote:
> I am familiar with Windows and Mac, where ether can have a USB
> scanner directly connected to the PC. I am also familiar with older
> Macs when they used to have SCSI connectors.
>
> Windows and Macs presently also allow printer-sharing of USB printers
> but as far as I can tell they do not (or do not reliably or easily)
> allow scanning functions to be shared across the network.

This heavily depends on the scanner itself. We have used HP OfficeJet without
any problems

> I am not sure about the current status of XSANE on the Mac.

Works fine as far as I know. I recommend the AVision scanner as it performs
perfect on Mac, Windows , Linux.

See wiki for reccommended hardware.

> Has anyone been acquiring successfully from inside GNUmed (Attach
> documents plug-in > Scan page(s) ) from Windows using TWAIN or have
> people been using Linux?

This has long been available and works reliably. We have uese both Linux and
Windows. TWain and xsane is supported.