Re: [Gnumed-devel] EMR tree display of allergy

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] EMR tree display of allergy
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 23:10:42 -0700

On 25-Sep-08, at 8:20 PM, James Busser wrote:

... despite the temptation to ask it "at least once", it does little good to have asked it *only* once

I may be here onto something...

The value in having asked about allergy is really only (ever) in relation to any treatment being given. So yes, it is true, if a 20- year old patient has had a lifelong history of penicillin allergy, and at age 18 (in the year 2006) joins your praxis, you can argue that it would be useful -- in *case* there would be a need for an antibiotic to be prescribed -- to have this information in the database.

However if the patient had no need for antibiotics until now (in 2008), it is only now that it becomes important to have documented anything.

If we now turn it around to suppose we had two patients, both of whom had been in the praxis x 5 years:
- both, at entry, had their allergy information asked: = no allergies
- both, over the next 5 years, receive various prescriptions
- allergy information for one was re-asked only last week, but since the information is unchanged, let us suppose that this re-asking was not captured in the EMR

Now I see one of these patients (normally looked after by somebody else) and I must prescribe something. I can only know that the allergy question was asked as long as 5 years ago. Does that help me?

If I now prescribe something, and there is an adverse reaction, and I am asked "did you ask if the patient had allergies?" and I say "well, the EMR said they had none" my answer would evade the question. It is possible that I did not re-ask, or --- if I did re-ask --- I cannot prove that I re-asked.

Would it make any difference if I could know that the patient had never in 5 years had the question re-asked? Or at the other extreme, if I could know that it was asked only 1 week ago, when some other prescription was given?

Ideally, I would be able to say that I *confirmed*, at the time that I made the prescription, any allergy information present or absent from clin.allergy.

This resolves a gap between what Karsten needed -- the ability to document that allergy state was *ever* asked -- and what I felt this left missing, which was the capacity to see when it was last re- affirmed, and/or myself to re-affirm it.

I would expunge from clin.allergy_state a value for "has_allergy" because data here is properly derivative from (yet risks allowing a value discordant from) what is in the clin.allergy rows.

Up until the time that clin.allergy_state was ever for the first time asked, this table would contain no row for the patient. As soon as a row is created, its value modified_when would record the date and time of the asking of the allergy details. The *content* and *certainty* of the allergy details we would simply record in clin.allergy (not in clin.allergy_state).