Re: [Gnumed-devel] Better-supporting staff and other non-patient persons

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Better-supporting staff and other non-patient persons
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 02:52:19 +0100

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 09:32:20PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> I have a lot of experience with requirements for privacy in official
> capacities and this minimum capacity can let GNUmed be used in many more
> places than would be permitted without such a capacity. This would
> hopefully strike a balance against Karsten's reasonable concern that
> short of video capture of user and screen nothing is perfect, also the
> impracticality of logging and storing *everything*, against the
> legitimate need patients may have to know which person(s) in the praxis
> have been accessing their record.

The problem here is that this CANNOT be known by reasonable
technical means and pretending otherwise is utter bullsh*t
no matter who pretends it.

More polite people call it "security theater" and, yes, I do
know that there are local laws requiring such bullsh*t and,
yes, if the case is made that implementing this sort of
bullsh*t will allow significantly more users to use GNUmed I
am not averse to it because it does not take that much
technically. However, it still remains bullsh*t.

Logging accesses is like looking at a person's drivers
license to find out whether or not they drove a car on a
particular day. It sorta sounds right but is utter crap.

Now, logging changes suffers the same problem - it does not
prove WHO changed things, only how they were changed. Which
is why we do it - the "who" comes for free.