Re: [Gnumed-devel] further thinking on list of current medications

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] further thinking on list of current medications
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 10:43:42 -0700

On 1-Apr-09, at 3:27 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

To take this example to the extreme:

<snip>
Looks OK ?

Does this mean we *need* two modes of presentation ?

- alphabetically w/o dupes for quick reference as to "what"
- grouped by issue with duplicates as needed - tells us "why"

Note, all this is about the doctor's view.

I agree that it looks ok (helpful, even) from the point of view of "with *what* are these conditions being treated" and not "what is this patient taking".

For patient use, it would be important for each drug to be listed only once, however if the one-to-many link would allow mutiple indications to be concatenated into a column "taken for" this can help to explain or remind the patient why the medication is being taken.

This will remind us that in my function as a general internist and even in the GP experience where you come across a patient taking medication, you cannot always tell for what purpose the medication is being taken. I suppose I am most uncomfortable when a patient "happens" to be taking prednisone or methotrexate and cannot tell me why.