Re: [Gnumed-devel] terminology question

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] terminology question
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 14:29:04 -0700

On 3-Apr-09, at 1:18 PM, Rogerio Luz wrote:

I have a wish by the way, could I edit the ORDER in wich these Fundamental Issues appear? Say I would like to put it as:

Presently GNUmed only auto-sorts alphabetically thus you could prepend characters to make the sort result into what you desire:

010 ANSIETY
020 DEPRESSION
030 BACK PAIN
040 SHOULDER PAIN
050 ARTEROSCLEROSIS
060 CARDIAC FAILURE
070 CARDIAC SURGERY

the third digit would allow the later creation and insertion of up to 9 more items between any two already-existing above, without having to alter any of the original.

I am not sure I would bother to do the above however since it could end up being very work intensive. Ideally anything other than alpha- sorting would be achieved through the value of some other field, whether this would be the clin_when date or some other field.

Down the road, desirable options might include:

1) sort based on codified values e.g. if entries had been assigned values under a scheme like SNOMED or REID codes

2) a sort_value field stored with the Issue, which would default to blank but which the user could populate. Any items possessing a value (1,2,3) could be sorted at top and anything blank below, in alpha order. Even later it would be slick if drag-and-drop would auto- update the values contained in the sort_value field.