Re: [Gnumed-devel] Image file splitting and parts renaming

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Image file splitting and parts renaming
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:38:04 +0200

Just some thoughts:

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 07:56:38PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> - multi-page fax = cover page + additional pages on a single-patient
> - multi-page fax = cover page + additional pages on multiple patients
> - single patient information is split across two fax transmissions
> (files)
> - patient information is partly-duplicated across two fax transmissions
> (files)
>
> The challenge of the incoming fax is different than the challenge of
> scanning paper, because with paper it is possible to identify and bring
> focus to a patient even before you would insert the paper into the the
> scanner.
>
> With an incoming fax, the same is not possible. Unless you had spoken to
> the sender immediately before the transmission (and even if you did) you
> could not know with certainly before opening the file which patient(s)
> were being referenced.

But you could simply open the file and look at it ? I don't
fully understand the difference (apart from that a fax
transmission is more likely to contain several patients than
a letter on paper).

> It would be tremendous if one could, from inside a file viewer /
> splitter utility:

I'm sure there's some such around. I don't think it's
GNUmed's job to duplicate them. It'd helpful to
programmatically cooperate with them, though.

> - display a listing of a directory structure, with the file contents of
> the current directory displayed
> - ability to set a default for the directory to be examined
> - ability to be presented thumbnails of the first page, or image, of the
> current directory's files
> - on selecting any one file:
> -- the ability to "open" (view the multi-image or multi-page) contents of
> the file
> -- the ability to rename the file
> -- the ability to move the file (or multiple-selection of files) to a
> subdirectory

That's 100 % any (decent) file manager worth its name.

> -- when a file is viewed as having parts that belong to different
> patients, the ability to designate a split-point that would spawn two
> new component files in place of the original
> -- the ability to rename and output the components

And for that part I'd assume there's some applications
around.

Here's one way using the command line right off the web
(haven't tried):

 Use imagemagick's 'convert':

 convert +adjoin multipage_doc.pdf seperate_tiffs.tif
 convert +adjoin multipage_doc.pdf seperate_pdfs.pdf
 convert +adjoin multipage_doc.tif seperate_pdfs.pdf

So it may simply be a question of always splitting and then
sorting manually. The multipage split would of course go
into a subdir each so some sorting steps will not be needed.
GNUmed can accept the drop of a subdir onto its list of
document pages.

It seems even easier:

        convert multipage.tif single%d.tif