Re: Using pgAdmin III (was Re: [Gnumed-devel] How gnumed deals with dea

From: Rogerio Luz Coelho
Subject: Re: Using pgAdmin III (was Re: [Gnumed-devel] How gnumed deals with death)
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 12:14:17 -0300

Seems it worked, but how can I know if the name is changed?

I now search for the patient and it does not show ...

Rogerio

2009/7/17 Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden>
On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 12:10:17AM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

Jim wrote a nice explanation. A few comments below:

> Before we go into pgAdmin III we need to know some information about
> what we will put in the UPDATE command:

UPDATE is the correct approach

> From the wiki page, click V11.

For the database for the to-be-0.5 client, that is.

> At this point, it helps to be familiar
> that the gnumed schema is divided into subschemas like "audit", "clin",
> "dem" ... the table that we want is within "dem"... it is the "identity"

dem. being demographics

> 3) pgAdmin III will need Karsten or Sebastian's help (?)
>
> From the Gnome desktop menu Applications > System Tools > pgAdmin III

pgAdmin III can be started from the menu Help / Debugging in
GNUmed.

> - it appears we need to create a "connection" to "register our server" in
> pgAdmin III
>       --> below the File menu, click the "AC plug" icon
>
> - complete the "new server registration"
> - name can be anything you want (?)

yes, say "any-doc-v11-local"

> - host is presumably your laptop as localhost (?)

leave it empty

database: gnumed_v11
user: any-doc (or your account name)
pw: any-doc (or your account name)

Do not make it save the password.

> $ sudo su - postgres
> $ psql -U postgres
> # alter role postgres with password '123';
> # \q
> $ exit

This will not help because due to pg_hba.conf postgres
cannot use a password locally (on Debian anyway).

> - click "OK"
> - thereafter we should be able to see something in the left pane that
> can be popped open and selected... I am expecting somewhere we might be
> able to see gnumed_v11... if so, maybe just click on it?

within the 1st level nodes the name any-doc-v11-local will appear.

> - can a suitable UPDATE command now just be pasted into the bottom right
> "SQL pane"?

no

expand down to the "gnumed_v11", activating that node

the upper right will display statistics

open the query tool "page with SQL on it with pen"

type at the upper left

bury Kirk:

       update dem.identity set deceased = now() where pk = 12;

observe how Kirk has donned his asbestos suit (the
query fails)

this is one level of protection in GNUmed - database
connections are read only until they are made writable

try again:

       begin;
       set transaction_read_only to off;
       update dem.identity set deceased = now() where pk = 12
       rollback;

no error should occur

replace the now() by a timestamp

replace the 12 by the patient's PK

if you are satisfied, replace the "rollback;" by "commit;"

For the timestamp use

       'YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM'::timestamp with time zone

a time zone is not required, it will assume your local time zone

E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346