[Gnumed-devel] Mac packaging - part 1

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Mac packaging - part 1
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 12:15:45 +0200

Am Mittwoch 29 Juli 2009 20:38:16 schrieben Sie:
> Hi Sebastion,
>
> You recently suggested  that I might consider packaging GNUmed for the
> Mac and I'd like to do just that.
>
> I work with Verbus Counts and his new start-up company Pal-Med-Tech,
> LLC. Verbus would like me and some others on our team to be
> maintainers of the packaging of GNUmed for the Mac.
> This would be an enjoyable task for me.

This sounds great. Our current packages are really oudated but can serve as a
starting point.

We recently discussed that on the mailing list.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnumed-devel/2009-06/msg00001.html

I recommend the following procedure:
1.) re-package the client
make it connect to thepublic database
2.) package the server part

A first go is to dissect the dmg
See my blog entry here: http://gnumed.blogspot.com/2007/12/gnumed-on-mac-os-x-
for-real.html

and the Mac guide here:
http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/InstallerGuideMac

Grab http://www.gnumed.de/downloads/client/0.2/GNUmed-client.0.2.8.3.dmg
and open it (view and replace files). As a first step try to replace the
GNUmed relevant files with the files from version 0.4.6

The python , wxpython files should be recent enough to make it work. There
might be a need to replace the psycopg2 stuff with newer files but that can be
postponed until the login dialog shows up.

Once this is done the manual file replacement step should be replaced by shell
scripts that copy the corresponding files from their sources (GNUmed tarball,
python copy in the host system), create the dmg files.

One step at a time. I would appreciate if you do this step by step and
document the procedure at

http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/GNUmedDMG

I have CCed Jim Busser as he is also interested in Mac packages and could join
the packaging effort in late August I believe.

Thanks,
Sebastian Hilbert