Re: [Gnumed-devel] PostgreSQL 8.4 in the new Debian Squeeze

From: Rogerio Luz Coelho
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] PostgreSQL 8.4 in the new Debian Squeeze
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 16:32:33 -0300

2009/8/4 Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden>
On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 03:00:16PM -0300, Rogerio Luz Coelho wrote:

> I made my weekly upgrade of my Debian Squeeze box just to find out that
> GNUmed stoped connecting to my DB.
>
> the problem? New PostgreSQL 8.4 upgraded by default my postgresql package.

That's right. It upgraded the "default" PostgreSQL package.

The 8.3 PG is still installed as well as all the databases
in the data files.

One can still run PG 8.3 by making sure 8.4 is stopped and
disabled (rcconf helps with that). Then either edit the
GNUmed config files to connect to port 5433 or make PG 8.3
run on port 5432 again.

There also is a Debian utility pg_upgradecluster which
allows us to seamlessly transfer our databases to 8.4 but
that currently has a few minor problems (nothing unfixable
even if upstream doesn't fix it). Which bugs I have already
reported upstream.

> to make things simple, just do a "aptitude purge postgresql-8.4 && aptitude
> install postgresql-8.3" no restore of the DB is necessary

That's right because the 8.3 data files are still there
totally undisturbed. Debian makes sure as hell that no data
gets lost.

with the above "aptitude purge ... aptitude install" the next time I ran aptitude upgrade the postgresql did not install the 8.4 version, AND the 8.3 version was reconfigured to the old port automatically.

Rogerio

E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346