Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Guest Article: Why Doctors Hate Electronic Medica

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Guest Article: Why Doctors Hate Electronic Medical Records
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 08:25:33 -0700

Why are physicians so recalcitrant to use EMR?” ? Because the software ...

 is garbage.”

This is what we are up against!

I think all would agree that there is a problem to be solved… a challenge to be overcome.

I accord with the view to stay away from positions like "some else's <substitute company or software>  is crap" and, even worse (for its potential arrogance), "everyone else's software is crap."

Stick to the moral high ground. Offer something that is hopefully helpful to people, without comment on other people's stuff. Offer what is available for its merits, if it would be enough to help people even if it would not be a total solution.

And if what we would offer would fall short of what others need, we'll stay open minded whether the request may be entirely reasonable. There exists a great capacity (human nature) to get defensive about stuff. The nice thing about open source is that when requestors ask something that is reasonable, they are welcome to make whatever contribution is necessary, or to wait (without entitlement to demand) that someone so-disposed could get around to this helpful thing. And if they want something that deviates from what is compatible with other people's needs, they are free to fork.