Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed-update

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed-update
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 16:12:56 -0700

I keep forgetting to post release notices to -update. We should be
doing that even now.

If you remember, just cc address@hidden and if I spot it missing from the cc I will simply forward it.

2. Whether it is feasible for "Check for updates" to communicate not
only the existence of an update, but its "criticality". Could any
such criticality be made apparent through the checking for and
communication of a new client?

It could, yes. Please file a wishlist bug tagged medium-complexity.

see below

The one non-trivial problem with this is how to decide what
criticality to deliver when ?

Assume client 0.4.5 has a bug that really ought to be fixed ASAP.
Assume 0.4.6 fixes that. Now assume 0.4.7 is out, too.

What do we tell a user running 0.4.5 ?
What do we tell a user running 0.4.6 ?

For this reason a simple string ("the latest 0.4.7 fixes a critical
bug, upgrading strongly recommended") won't work.

Starting from there it can get arbitrarily complex.

One approach might be to have a list of strings, one line per
release, prefixed with the release. Then display that list and
have the user decide whether anything applies to them.

Can such lines be fetched and displayed conditionally? To use the example above, we would need more than just the release status line, we would need a dialog box.Important to these strings would be to
- include mention when a database fixup would be needed
- truncate to one line by appending [and more]

The dialog could say:

0.4.x – *database fixup required* + blah blah
0.4.7 – fixes measurements grid, document translations [and more]
0.4.6 – fixes update-available message, document search
0.4.5 – running…

(may as well compare to what is running, and signal this in the dialog)

I suggest also when there *are* no updates within the branch to report:

0.4.5 – running…

No new updates in this branch.