Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: the benefit of setup tools

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: the benefit of setup tools
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 21:44:52 +0200

Am Montag 07 September 2009 21:24:16 schrieb Gour:

> Sebastian> Thank god you said that. I recently had a private discussion
> Sebastian> with someone not involved in GNUmed anymore who told me that
> Sebastian> it is virtually essential to convert to setup.py
>
> You can take as you like. I'll just quote from official Python docs
> avaialble at http://docs.python.org/install/index.html:
>
> "The new standard: Distutils
>
> If you download a module source distribution, you can tell pretty
> quickly if it was packaged and distributed in the standard way,
> i.e. using the Distutils. First, the distribution’s name and version
> number will be featured prominently in the name of the downloaded
> archive, e.g. foo-1.0.tar.gz or widget-0.9.7.zip. Next, the archive will
> unpack into a similarly-named directory: foo-1.0 or
> widget-0.9.7. Additionally, the distribution will contain a setup script
> setup.py, and a file named README.txt or possibly just README, which
> should explain that building and installing the module distribution is a
> simple matter of running
>
> python setup.py install
> "

I knew that much. I once tried and failed. I know that setup.py is pretty much
python so you can do everything you can do in python but as I said none of us
has attempted it.

If some distutils wizard comes along and tells us (in code) how to do that for
the various distributions I am all for it.

That is fairly obvious imho.

Sebastian