Re: [Gnumed-devel] Naming convention (Was: Choice of programming languag

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Naming convention (Was: Choice of programming language and project management)
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 15:51:27 -0700

On 7-Sep-09, at 2:17 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

2. should the .conf file that gets  installed (written) into above
hidden folder be named instead gnumed-client.conf (not gnumed.conf)

Users run the client, not the server. To them GNUmed *is* the client.

I have reconsidered and agree that in *user space* the server stuff should be irrelevant, and should not really even appear here and, consequently, I retract my suggestion about

meaning don't make it

(despite that in my debian user home folder .gnumed, there sits a server-installation folder, which I wonder how it got there)

        ... also inside egk+kvk-demon.conf.example
                # Copy this file to /etc/gnumed/ekg+kvk-demon.conf ...
                be changed to
                # Copy this file to /etc/gnumed-client

Why ?

Either you are being provocative ( :-) ) or I misunderstand something, because I thought we just established a commitment to augment the consistency wrt to gnumed-client vs gnumed-server

- some time ago we made a change so that the machine copy of the gm config got named

        gnumed-client.conf (not just gnumed.conf)

- you just committed

         gnumed-client.x.y.z.tgz now contains gnumed-client.x.y.z/
         gnumed-server.x.y.tgz now contains gnumed-server.x.y/

- therefore why not adhere so that  whatever ends up in

as a consequence of client installation should really end up in

and what ends up in /etc/ as a consequence of server installation should end up in

because after all, they are separate packages, one is supposed to be able to install (uninstall) either or both.