[Gnumed-devel] Re: Packaging (was: Naming convention)

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Packaging (was: Naming convention)
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 13:48:05 -0700

On 8-Sep-09, at 5:28 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

4. there exist also in the tarball files that seem optional:

        egk+kvk-demon.conf.example
        gnumed-client-init_script.sh

        ... shall we relocate within the tarball, outside client
        ... either into external-tools or (if that is not suitable)

Done. At least for the script.

When there are optional things but which apply only to certain regions or countries (but they are unrelated to translations) I am wondering some more fine-grained way than to just dump everything into

        external-tools

So if the egk stuff is considered an "external-tool" -- yet relevant really only to Germany until someone would adapt it for use in other countries -- could we upstream do

        external-tools/de/

And if on the other hand we offered users resources that were not really external tools (rather, they were internal to gnumed but still region-specific) might we put *those* in a new tarball directory

        optional

 and within that (e.g.)

        optional/de (when country specific, else)
        optional/misc

It would help the downstream packagers to leave out of focus those things that can cleanly be moved out of /client/ (for standard installs)