Re: [Gnumed-devel] Ubuntu-specific issues

From: Jerzy Luszawski
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Ubuntu-specific issues
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 10:38:18 +0200

Sunday 25 October 2009 08:33:49 Jim Busser napisaƂ(a):
> I made a small note on http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/ServerInstall
>   pointing out that, apparently, without
>
>       su -c
>
> will be disabled one check and one cleanup routine.
I think it is sufficient for now, as new user will hopefully check the wiki
before installing, or when they encounter error :)

> What is this
> cleanup, if it should be manually done, and is it worth modifying the
> script to exclude the =su -c= line if Mac OS and Ubuntu can be detected?
My problem arised when I tried to execute the scripts as a *regular* user,
waiting for a prompt for 'gm-dbo'. I simply forgot to execute the script as
root. So the first prompt for password was from 'su', then the command
failed, because I have no permission to 'su" (strange order of checks ;)).

It seems that these "su -c" are generally superfluous, as we do require these
scripts to be run as root (as stated in Wiki and in comment lines). Removing
them will clarify error messages, when the scripts are run as regular user or
a user uses different security policy (as in Ubuntu default, or e.g.
group-allowed access to postgres without "su" allowed).

So, my recommendation is to remove them.

Jerzy Luszawski