Re: [Gnumed-devel] Would you recon GNUmed suitable ...

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Would you recon GNUmed suitable ...
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 07:06:30 -0800

On 2009-11-06, at 2:25 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

LAST NAME (translated as " Genus / Breed ")
- Dog / German Shepperd

SEX (doesn't need translation -- hurray!!)
- Male

And so on, I think it is just a matter of translating the creation applet
for one's needs.
This way if a Vet types "German"in the patient field he "should" be able to
get a list of the German breed dogs, right?

While this is true, a search for the single animal of interest would now result in many more matches and with many animals having the same first name (no different than people) it makes a need to always in a phone call ask the caller the breed of the animal in order to find it... the matches would be fewer when the last name was part of the search unless the same search efficiency is achieved inputting

        animal_name owner_surname

despite that the above would both be stored in the first_names field

I suppose it might be interesting for the staff to be shown (in the search results) listings of the kinds of animals in the praxis.

But my other thought is that in normal daily work there is not a statistical interest in the details of the matches that were not the targeted record... GNUmed does support search queries through its SQL plugin