Re: [Gnumed-devel] How much does GNumed cost ?

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] How much does GNumed cost ?
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 09:18:16 -0800

On 2010-01-05, at 6:42 AM, Dave Cramer wrote:

> Agreed, but I would think this would be a rather smallish database and
> it may be fast enough.

Agree with the above re cost "formula", I otherwise only (also) agree with
Karsten that it may be both a hassle and create a bad impression to prospective
users if the database is more than very rarely inaccessible. The current public
db has been accessible to me all ~ 100 times (except maybe once, and I think
only when I was premature around a database upgrade, and this would not even
have been around an official release).

Despite that (when connecting from Canada) the current public db is
*torturously* slow, it is still useful for deducing a possible problem with
one's local db and to see what the new GUI changes look like.

Even so it would be nice to diagnose the basis of the current slowness from
Canada.

If and when any vendors (support companies) in other countries would start to
handle GNUmed then maybe part of their contribution could be to set up a public
db that would be faster than what their geographically local (or even worldwide
citizens) would obtain from a frugal project public pb.

-- Jim Busser