[Gnumed-devel] Scanning Xsane, gscan2pdf, Simple Scan, Tesseract OCR

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Scanning Xsane, gscan2pdf, Simple Scan, Tesseract OCR
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 18:01:42 -0800

I offer the following either for potential interest, and/or because in I will
have some follow-on questions in my next posts:

Referencing SANE, PDF, TIFF export

Debian package

Ubuntu GUI menu screenshot

Simple Scan (for Ubuntu)

Tesseract OCR

gscan2pdf … produces a PDF with the recognized text in a hidden layer behind
the image… to make the PDF indexable by desktop search helpers like Beagle.

There's also the xsane2tess script, a wrapper for tesseract-ocr that can be
used with xsane's scan to text feature. See: (in French, but try Google translation).