[Gnumed-devel] Re: Hints needed for tex configurations / options on Mac

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Hints needed for tex configurations / options on Mac
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 16:29:29 -0800

texlive options (variants)
**************************
they are not non-conflicting therefore not mutually exclusive:

- first one (Set paper format to letter) is I suspect just a convenience for
people in North America and maybe only affects the point of developing a new
template whereas I don't know if it would interact with the output of
already-created GNUmed generic templates. Maybe if we make our GNUmed templates
fit within the common limitations between A4 and Letter the option might even
be best left 'unset".

- second one (Docs) presumably just provides manpages and/or documentation that
the app can itself access

texlive_base
*************
the variants are mutually exclusive however
1) if we don't plan to create DVI format files. the variant selection may be
moot (not matter)
2) since on Mac GNUmed does not so far use X11 it would not seem we should
choose to need to use it if we don;t have to and so since a no_X11 option is
offered I think that may be the way to go at least on a trial basis

There remains a 64-bit build problem for wxWidgets on Mac, hopefully I can get
an answer for that

On 2010-01-17, at 9:50 PM, Jim Busser wrote:

> A number of tex-related packages are available for the Mac. While some are
> available independently of MacPorts, a coherent MacPorts solution is likely
> desirable. Among the MacPorts options, the best candidate appears to be
>
>       texlive (which provides binaries)
>
> which has as a dependency
>
>       texlive_base
>
> but the MacPorts packages are further complicated by offering "variants"
> (subpackage combinations or configurations variably depending on other
> packages) from which the person must choose. These are listed below.
> Suggestions?
>
> **********************
> texlive
>       http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/tex/texlive/Portfile
> offers 2:
>
>       variant letter description {Set paper format to letter} {
>           build   {
>               system "texconfig-sys paper letter"
>        }
>
>       variant doc description {Build docs} {
>           depends_lib-append  port:texlive_texmf-docs
>       }
>
> **********************
>
> texlive_base
>       http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/tex/texlive_base/Portfile
> offers 5:
>
>       variant no_x11 conflicts xaw motif xaw3d nextaw {
>           depends_lib-delete port:xorg-libXp
>           configure.args-append --without-x --without-pdfopen
>           configure.args-delete  --x-includes=${prefix}/include \
>                                  --x-libraries=${prefix}/lib
>       }
>       variant motif conflicts no_x11 xaw xaw3d nextaw description {Use Motif
> to build xdvi} {
>            depends_lib-append lib:libXm:openmotif
>            configure.args-append --with-xdvi-x-toolkit=motif
>       }
>       variant xaw conflicts no_x11 motif xaw3d nextaw description {Use Xaw to
> build xdvi} {
>           depends_lib-append port:xorg-libXaw
>           configure.args-append --with-xdvi-x-toolkit=xaw
>       }
>       variant xaw3d conflicts no_x11 motif xaw nextaw description {Use Xaw3d
> to build xdvi} {
>           depends_lib-append port:Xaw3d
>           configure.args-append --with-xdvi-x-toolkit=xaw3d
>       }
>       variant nextaw conflicts no_x11 motif xaw xaw3d description {Use neXtaw
> to build xdvi} {
>           depends_lib-append port:neXtaw
>           configure.args-append --with-xdvi-x-toolkit=neXtaw
>

> -- Jim

-- Jim