Re: [Gnumed-devel] LaTeX contest for referral letter

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] LaTeX contest for referral letter
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 08:28:15 -0800

On 2010-01-20, at 3:37 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> Jim, could you please go over the template and see to it
> that we use proper English ? Thanks.

Rogerio can always change back, for his own local version of the template, any
specifics depending on his exact manner of managing patients. Some of what I
offer makes the english more precise or correct, or makes the language more
safely general when the statements may not be exactly true. Also a few
questions that need an answer or decision.

        \begin{document}
        \title {Referral Letter of: \\ \emph {($<title>$) ($<lastname>$),
($<firstname>$)}}
        %\footnote{ -- Referral Letter --\emph
http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed}

is there a reason to (presumably) display the above URL on the page given a
reference (also) in the footer? Maybe I misinterpret and the above URL does not
display as such on the printout but, rather, becomes enabled as a link to the
text "www.gnumed.org" relevant in digital documents like PDFs despite not on
the printed paper?

        \footnotetext {$<tex_escape::$Id: GNUmed-default_medication_list...
        \footnotetext {GNUmed Electronic Medical Record ($<client_version>$) --
www.gnumed.org}

do we not simply shorten the above to the www leaving out the GNUmed
particularly since GNUmed appears also in the template name or is this a
reversal of views on the desirability to further "brand" template output for
the arguable benefit of the project "wear the badge with pride"?

\paragraph* {To whom this may concern, the above patient born on \emph
{($<date_of_birth::%Y %B %d>$)}
has been under my care. With due consideration to consent I will here disclose:}

Changes:
1) "born in" born "on" given a particular date is specified (as opposed to born
"in" a year generally)
2) "is at this time in" changed to "has been under" to make it true where a
patient is departed / departing
3) consent requirements vary jurisdictionally so are best re-customized
locally, the above accommodates scenarios where by agreeing to be referred
qualifies as implied consent and in other scenarios there may need to be signed
written consent stored elsewhere in the chart.
4) change (3) also removes any gender implication of "his"

Question:
- can "born on" be included (excluded) conditionally depending on non-null
(null) dob?

\begin{enumerate}

\item This patient has the following allergies: $<allergy_list::%(descriptor)s,
>$

\item This patient has the following active health issues:

%\begin{description}
%\item [{($<active_health_issues::*list_or_csv*>$)}]~
%\end{description}

\item The above patient is currently using:
\begin{description}
$<current_meds:: \item[%(substance)s {\footnotesize (%(brand)s)}
%(preparation)s %(strength)s: %(schedule)s] >$
%\item [{($<current_meds>$)}]~
\end{description}

\end{enumerate}

\paragraph* {Lastly, we have discussed the following Plan for the future which
the
patient may (or may not) have fully completed or followed:}

Changed:
- some text

%\begin{description}
%\item [($<soap_p>$)]~
%\end{description}

\begin{tabular}[b]{c}
\rule{0pt}{10ex} \today {} ($<current_provider>$)\\
\rule{0pt}{4ex} Practice Stamp , Signature:\\
\hline
\tiny Any information below this point can not be assumed valid and the above
physician will not be held responsible.
\end{tabular}
\end{document}

Comment:
- I still don't understand the purpose, making a language opinion difficult.
Are we saying that if there would appear inked writing below the line, it must
always be considered invalid, but if the hand-made changes should be above the
line (say, alterations of allergy or medication information) they should be
considered valid? This is illogical, since any change could be acceptable
provided doctor-initialed. If no change is acceptable then the location on the
page is irrelevant. I would change the line in the packaged template to the
following since Rogerio and others can always change their local copy:

\tiny The above physician cannot be held responsible for unconfirmed content or
alterations to this letter.