Re: [Gnumed-devel] LaTeX contest for referral letter

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] LaTeX contest for referral letter
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 01:25:24 -0800

On 2010-01-20, at 11:26 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

>> in normal mode there will be nothing of it in the pdf or paper, whereas in
>> debug mode it will appear as an extra line
>
> While technically a good solution this ensures we will never
> see it when we want it.

Why would anybody want such details "normally" seen on (for example) a
prescription, where the template reference will serve only to confuse matters?

If the page will not print, there will be no template reference to trace anyway.

If the page *will* print and the user is in any way dissatisfied, there is
nothing wrong with requiring them to launch another client instance in debug
mode and re-generate the same output except this time the template reference
should appear.

Are you concerned that the proposed solution will cause the template reference
to not appear despite that it should, even in debug mode?

>> PS can the horizontal line separators in the footers be made to extend more
>> fully across the page?
>
> If we throw all our combined forces behind the opposition to
> TeX's typographic excellence, then, yes, there is a way.

Well, we can be purists and swoon in TeX's brilliance, or we can avoid
distracting the clinician from the content as might otherwise arise from noting
"this footer line looks weird... what's going on?"