[Gnumed-devel] packaging 'standards' (was Re: Texlive and Gnumed)

From: Gour
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] packaging 'standards' (was Re: Texlive and Gnumed)
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 08:25:12 +0100

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 21:47:09 +0100
>>>>>> "Andreas" == Andreas Tille <address@hidden> wrote:

Andreas> ... with non-standard packaging procedures? ;-)

There are also source-based distros. ;)

Andreas> Sorry, could not resist.  I stay away from distro flamewars -
Andreas> I just stick to something that works for me and I'm really
Andreas> honestly wondering why people are so keen on reinventing so
Andreas> many things which finally show design flaws.

I have nothing against Debian, but praise for what it does.

Otoh, I just wanted to show example of client-server package similar
to GNUmed written in the same language (Python) whose devs are using
Debian, but they are still providing 'standard' Python setup procedure
to install with:

python setup.py install

from the package tarball.

In that way, I was able to very quickly package tryton-client &
tryton-server along with bunch of other tryton-relate modules
(alltogether 45 packages) in relatively short period of time by
'reading' setup.py to find out about the deps.

Even though you/Debian are not fond of that 'standard', it's beyond me
to understand what's wrong to provide it for non-Debian/tarball users
to make it easier to install the package...but as long as you say
there is easy way to install it with:

apt-get install gnumed-client
apt-get install gnumed-server
gm-bootstrap_server

I resist from any further attempts. :-)

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Hlapicina, Croatia  | GPG key: F96FF5F6