Re: [Gnumed-devel] A question for the community

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] A question for the community
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 13:44:14 +0200

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 12:49:05PM +0200, Hilbert, Sebastian wrote:

> This little test pretty much shows that I am right. Back in the days I
> proclaimed that FOSS has a visibility problem.

horizontal FOSS is easy
vertical FOSS is hard

infrastructure FOSS is easy
domain FOSS is hard

> All those and many more only reach computer literate users. But since we all
> know that physicians are not always computer interested, let alone FOSS
> interested

The sad thing is that many are not even interested in
(striving for) sound clinical documentation.

What (nearly) every physician is interested in is the
paycheck.

Hence the association of EMR == billing software.

> I believe it is necessary to go out and infiltrate the non-FOSS groups,
> journals and websites. They might not report much good about FOSS. Bad news
> is
> better then no news. The missing link is how to reach non-physician, computer
> literate physician affiliated people.

While this is correct the problem with this is that nearly
all of those are also interested in the paycheck rather than
providing something sensible. They want to sell something to
the physician. If the slightest shadow of doubt is cast upon
the prospect of generating cash flow they go away. This is a
general characteristic of humanity. Praise to those few
brave souls who don't succumb to it.

That is why I agree with the assessment that

        a) minimal billing
        b) coding

will make a difference in perception (though neither in
quality nor necessarily in measurable uptake).