Re: [Gnumed-devel] Postgres 8.4.4-1 (Enterprise db) problems -- system h

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Postgres 8.4.4-1 (Enterprise db) problems -- system hosed?
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 12:28:56 +0200

Am Dienstag 29 Juni 2010, 11:39:21 schrieb Dave Cramer:

> > but can find no init.d in /etc
> >
> > Does it seem my system is hosed?
>
> Jim,
>
> there is not init.d in OS X it uses a completely different mechanism.
> The best way to install pg on a mac is using the source and building
> it. The start script should be in /Library/StartupItems

Whoa. Hold it. First we need to find out what exactly the problem is Jim is
referring to.

Second Jim already has PG built from source thriugh MacPorts

My assumption is that since I have recommended the enterprisedb version for
GNUmed's local databases Jim is trying to install and use this for a local
GNUmed database.

The mentioning of init.d makes me believe Jim used google to find out
something about the status of pg (e.g. is it running, which clusters are up)

Jim will have to comment on what he is trying to do. Unless I am totally wrong
and Jim wants to to some PG development which would warrant an installation
from source (maybe not since MacPorts version is already installed :-)

Sebastian