Re: [Gnumed-devel] Postgres 8.4.4-1 (Enterprise db) problems -- system

From: Dave Cramer
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Postgres 8.4.4-1 (Enterprise db) problems -- system hosed?
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 16:34:18 -0400

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Jim Busser <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 2010-06-29, at 2:39 AM, Dave Cramer wrote:
>
>> OS X it uses a completely different mechanism.
>> The best way to install pg on a mac is using the source and building
>> it. The start script should be in /Library/StartupItems
>
> Thanks, I have gotten rid of
>        /Library/PostgreSQL8/data/pg_hba.conf
> and kept
>        /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/data/pg_hba.conf
>
> but as to /Library/StartupItems I have no such directory, and in
> /System/Library/StartupItems there is only
>         \vpnagentd
>
> and there is nothing for me to choose in Apple > System Preferences >
> Accounts > Login items, and the command "psql" gives "command not found", so
> I wonder whether the enterprisedb failed to install needed scripts? Despite
> no StartupItems, the command
>
>        sudo SystemStarter start PostgreSQL
>
> gave me the following
>

> <verbatim>
> sudo: cannot get working directory
> shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent
> directories: No such file or directory
> Starting PostgreSQL database server
> job-working-directory: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot
> access parent directories: No such file or directory
> shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent
> directories: No such file or directory
> sh: /Library/PostgreSQL8/bin/pg_ctl: No such file or directory
> MacBook:log djb$
> </verbatim>

Looks like it was looking for the old version that you deleted.

Ok, so there must be another directory with the startup item  PostgreSQL

in a shell as root do

locate PostgreSQL

You should be able to find it, when you do you can edit the startup
item to change the directory that it is using.

On the other hand if edb's install doesn't work, this is a waste of
time for future installs.

Dave