Re: [Gnumed-devel] Postgres 8.4.4-1 (Enterprise db) problems -- system

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Postgres 8.4.4-1 (Enterprise db) problems -- system hosed?
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 11:10:30 +0200

Am Mittwoch 30 Juni 2010, 10:46:52 schrieb Jim Busser:
> On 2010-06-29, at 3:28 AM, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

Hi,

> > Whoa. Hold it. First we need to find out what exactly the problem is Jim
> > is referring to.
> >
> > Second Jim already has PG built from source through MacPorts
>
> FYI, I did not get as far as people might have thought:
>
> 1. Using MacPorts, while I did already install GNUmed client's dependencies
> (which themselves depended on postgresql), output from the command
>
>       port installed
>
> includes only postgresql84 @8.4.4.0 (active).

When macports builds psycopg2 it will pull in libraries from postgresql to
build against. This might however not be enough to run a PG server.

> Not installed is the server
> port, whose name is postgresql84-server (8.4.4), so that would have to be
> installed separately.

I see. I was wrong here.

> 2. I did note, in the console output during the above, a warning from the
> postgres installation routine which suggested I report to postgres (but
> which I did not yet do)...

Any chance you can repost that ?

> Karsten suggested that the warning should have
> no impact on the client, but I did not take it as assurance that a local
> MacPorts postgres would function correctly (but maybe it would) ...

Maybe.

> 3. Sebastian had anyway suggested Enterprisedb so I figured I would give it
> a try, accepting the default install directory /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4 but
> whether or not it was the fault of edb or Snow Leopard is did not work out
> :-(

It worked out of the box in the installation I know of (not Snow Leopard)

Did you get a chance to uninstall and reinstall ? I only recommended this
because I believe less skilled uses will not get any other version installed

http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/download.do
http://www.enterprisedb.com/openDownloads.do?productId=1189&redirectReason=true&productVersion=otherDownload

I am sure they would like to know if their version does not install on your
system.

> 4. I did not yet download or run the GNUmed server package, so Karsten
> cannot yet infer that postgres will run on Mac with minimum defaults (but
> maybe it will)

He refered to an installation I am aware of :-) (I guess)

> 5. I had been poking around my own machine's postgres, to satisfy myself I
> could get it ready for GNUmed and running, and found that I had *two*
> copies of pg_hba.conf:
>
> /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/data/pg_hba.conf
> /Library/PostgreSQL8/data/pg_hba.conf

Second one is a left over.

> the second being left over from some effort from a year ago (which I since
> deleted) and maybe I will delete what edb installed, too

I recommend you get rid of all files (see instructions I posted earlier)
Then reinstall (post errors if there are any) , verify that PG is up (through
pgadmin3 or psql)

Right now it seems to be a moving target. Start over clean. You can go for the
MacPorts version. Maybe it works better. Even in that case I would clean up
edb completely.

Sebastian