Re: [Gnumed-devel] Status of to-be client 0.8x

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Status of to-be client 0.8x
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 00:44:48 +0200

> While I know the master branch contains some code (like maybe some early
> work on plugins) that may not make it into 0.8x,
> would all of the GUI
> functionality currently existing in master make it into the next release?

No. OTOH it depends on what you mean by GUI functionality.

> a few related questions:
>
> - at what point was it being considered to "freeze" the codebase for a
> 0.8x release

When I am confident enough that the features that turned out to be
0.8 are implemented fully enough -- which is very soon.

> and would that become obvious (at gitorious) by when a 0.8 branch
> becomes visible?

Yes.

> - at that point, even while new work on the master branch *could* be done,
> in all likelihood the work on master will stop until 0.8 becomes released?

Sort of but just because I don't have any clones of myself.

> - it there a feature-freeze on 0.8?

Yes. It is in effect already.

> I was hoping that 0.8 could support
> the correct infile syntax for FreeDiams 0.0.4

It will not if I am to write the code (no problem doing so, just setting
reasonable goals/timeframes).

> because if I am to make a video
> showing GNUmed calling FreeDiams, I do not want
>
>       James Tiberius Kirk
>
> to populate the FD "First names" and laving blank FD "Lastnames"

Does that also happen with FreeDIAMS 0.3 ?  If so it would be a bug.

In fact, even 0.4 should support the command line argument way of
passing in names properly. If it doesn't that's a bug in either
FreeDIAMS or GNUmed.