[Gnumed-devel] GNUmed 0.8

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed 0.8
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 12:20:20 +0200

Hello all,

so far we have seen very little feedback on the 0.8 Release
Candidate 1. This either means it works as intended or else
no one is testing.

I will release rc2 right before going on vacation in the
first week of August. Depending on the feedback GNUmed 0.8
will be released right after I return in the 3rd week.

I am thinking about discouraging Debian from moving 0.8 from
unstable to testing before Debian Squeeze is frozen for
becoming stable unless we've got a fair bit of testing and
positive feedback. The current 0.7 seems a much more mature
and safe bet for being a long-term release with the next
Debian Stable.

Also, when Testing becomes Stable GNUmed > 0.8 will start
requiring Python 2.6 and PostgreSQL 8.4 (or even PostgreSQL
9.0 should that be released as expected) so people may want
to plan into the future to be ready for 0.9, eventually.

This will bring about such goodies as column level
permissions which will allow us to attempt an improved
security model in conformance with HIPAA.