Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed and FreeDiams

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed and FreeDiams
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 15:15:10 +0100

On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 08:34:02PM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:

> The problem with populating the table
>
>       ref.consumable_substance
>
> from user input is because such a table, taken in
> isolation, provides no intrinsic meaning to the amounts and
> units.

It defines the strengths of substances a user tells GNUmed
are available for consumption.

> 1) you intend
>
>       ref.consumable_substance
>
> to hold only discrete strengths of what is *actually* (commercially)
> available?

Yes.

> 2) maybe the Brand is intended to be related (only
>    indirectly by link table) to Consumable_Substance ONLY AND
>    EXACTLY where the strength of that Consumable_Substance is a
>    match to the brand?

Not "a match" but rather "defined *by*" the (indirect) link
into consumable_substance.

> 3) is the intent to be able to display, in a plugin or widget

The intent is to model. The schema pays no attention to
display considerations.

>               based on any substance and strength
>                       --> one-to-multiple Brands known available for that
> strength?

If that is desired it is possible, yes.

>      … if this is true, then
>
>       in the link table, a single Substance / strength would be replicated
> once-per-brand

Yes.

>       AND
>
>       in the link table, a single Brand would be replicated
>               once per strength (some Brands being available in multiple
> strengths) AND

Yes.

>               once per substance-in-drug (for combo drugs)

Yes.

>       AND
>
>       the widget sequence should be
>
>               user inputs part of a substance
>               user is offered values among {substance, strength}
>               on selecting a {substance, strength}
>               --> eligible (valid for {substance, strength} Brands are offered

While entirely irrelevant to the schema part of the
discussion, yes, that sounds like one sane way to select
brands where selection of brands is desired.

> 4) I had been worried that the informational value of
>    Brand's multiple external_codes (across strengths)

GNUmed pays no attention to that.

        MetoPharm comp (100mg Metoprolol, 12.5mg HCT)

is just that. GNUmed doesn't care whether Zaire or Germany
or Canada call it by any other number.

What it does do is *store* said number when it learns of it
by user input or from reading external exchange files,
display it in some places (say, tooltips), and pass it back
to external software. For the latter purpose it prefixes a
known-to-gnumed source identifier (say, "FreeDiams") such
that it can make educated guesses about when it may make
sense to pass the external ID. This is not to be confused
with the fk_data_source which would point to the original
source of the drug data - which typically isn't available
(inside GNUmed, as opposed to inside FreeDiams) and is
optional.

Brands across different strengths must have (ever so
slightly) differing names, say

        "MetoPharm comp 100/12.5"
        "MetoPharm comp 100/25"

> would be inaccessible to write into the XML3FreeDiams
> file, however is there some way that the addition of a
> substance to a patient drug list would keep resolvable the
> specific-to-strength external_code?

I am not sure I follow this question.

> Once I am clearer on how combo drugs are handled, I might have more questions
> :-)

Likely, why not.