Re: [Gnumed-devel] bootstrap database

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] bootstrap database
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 09:53:47 +0100

Hello Vaibhav,

> Please have a look at the attached screen shot. You will notice that the
> default placement (centering ) of gui for addition of drug (substance) is
> such that the menu items on left side are not visible and one has to use
> horizontal scroll every time.

Ah, I see. Well, GNUmed does not do much of anything to
define the size of dialogs. In this very case, in fact, it
even defines a minimum size as a hint to the GUI engine.
GNUmed cannot do much about the fact that the widget toolkit
decides that scrolling is desirable here.

> This can be dealt with by reducing the length of entry field by few cms.

No, because GNUmed does not define (and cannot define
either) the lengths of fields.

> Moreover, the "OK" button at the lower end of gui is out of focus (not
> visible and accessible by mouse) as gui is not resizing according to the
> display/desktop size.

Exactly. This is the same problem. And, as you say, the
reason is that "gui is not resizing according to the
display/desktop size".

> This problem also occur with gtklp (printing gui).

Yes, because gtklp uses the same GUI toolkit, namely gtk, which is GNOME.

> I think, the gui is optimised for larger display, but fail to accomodate
> itself on smaller one.

You are right, GNOME fails to adapt itself to smaller screens.

> Another issue with the substance entry (the same gui that is shown in
> display) is that though it allows previously added drugs to be selected for
> current medication, new drugs (which are not entered through menu, lists,
> substance ) can not be added from the same gui. This was possible in
> previous version and was more convenient way.

Indeed, this has changed slightly. However, you can still
add brands / substances from this very part of the GUI: hit
either of the buttons to the right of the "Brand" or
"Substance" field. This will take you directly to "menu /
lists / substance" (or "... / brand")   :-)

Allowing direct entry of new drugs from within this GUI
appeared to be conceptually unsafe once you think of the
fact that this is used to both add and edit substance intake
entries.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de